This slow cooker shredded chicken for enchiladas is exactly what you need to make Mexican meal prep easier.
Sure, I designed this recipe to be used in enchiladas. But I also use it on tostadas, in tortas, soups, salads, and more!
I kept this recipe pretty basic (but don’t worry, we still add flavor) so that you can add different seasonings and sauces in the main meal.
This is my favorite approach to meal prep to avoid boredom. Instead of making one meal from start to finish and eating leftovers for days, I like to make a few core ingredients I’ll use in different ways.
For example, I’ll probably make this slow cooker shredded chicken, a batch of beans, rice, and salsa. Then throughout the week I’ll make burrito bowls, tacos, tostadas, and soup.
This drastically cuts down on food waste and prep time during the week, but avoids the trap of eating the exact same thing every day.
Need more help with healthy meal prep? Check out my meal planning app for Latinas! Sign up below to learn more.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken for Enchiladas
- 1 slow cooker
- 1 Blender
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tomato
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 2.5 cups water
- Place the water, tomato, garlic, adobo seasoning, and chicken bouillon powder in a blender. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Place the mixture from the blender and the chicken breasts into a slow cooker. Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 4-6 hours, until completely cooked through (this will vary a bit based on how thick your chicken breasts are).
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- With two forks, pull the chicken breasts apart into long, thin shreds. Use this in any recipe that calls for shredded chicken.
What else can you make with this shredded chicken?
I mean it when I say this shredded chicken will be your go-to meal prep recipe.
I often make this chicken without being 100% sure what recipe I’ll use it in next. I’m just confident that I’ll find a good use for it once I have it ready.
Here are some recipes that will make great use of this shredded chicken:
Sopa de Fideo
This sopa de fideo recipe is actually vegetarian. But you can easily turn this side dish into a full meal by adding a handful of shredded chicken in with the vegetables.
This chicken torta recipe uses storebought rotisserie chicken. But you can just as easily use this slow cooker shredded chicken instead.
Chicken tinga adds spicy flavor to basic shredded chicken. Perfect for tostadas.