Shrimp is one of my favorite sources of protein! It’s tasty, it takes on bold flavors really well, and it cooks so quickly so it’s ideal for new cooks or people who are just short on time. For this recipe, I wanted to play with sweet and spicy, a flavor combo I’ve been obsessed with lately.
The way I made it, it’s more spicy than sweet, but the apricot jam helps tone down that spiciness just a tiny bit. You can feel free to play with the ratios of chipotle to apricot jam to get the right levels of sweetness and spiciness for you!
I served this in tacos, but all that extra chipotle sauce would make this a great choice to serve over rice or in a torta!
Shrimp in Apricot Chipotle Sauce
- 1/4 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 7 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- Heat 1 tbsp in olive oil in a large saute pan over medium ehat1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the sliced onion to the pan1/4 large onion
- Saute for 3-5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften
- Add minced garlic to pan, saute for 1 minute longer, careful not to burn the garlic1 clove garlic
- Add diced tomato to the pan1 tomato
- Dice two chipotle peppers from the can, add to saute pan along with 2 tbsp adobo sauce from the can. Reserve the rest of the contents of the can for another use. Saute until onions are completely soft and translucent.1 7 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo
- Add all ingredients from saute pan into blender, add 3 tbsp apricot jam and 2 tbsp lime juice.3 tbsp apricot jam, 2 tbsp lime juice
- Blend on high until completely smooth
- Pour sauce from blender back into saute pan, placing over medium heat.
- Heat until sauce begins to bubble gently and color has deepened slightly, adding 1 tbsp of water if the sauce is too thick.
- With the sauce simmering, add shrimp to pan in a single layer. Cook 3-4 minutes, then flip. cook 2 minutes longer until shrimp is opaque and cooked through.1 pound shrimp
- Serve over rice or with tortillas.