Insurance Coverage for Nutrition Counseling
These questions will guide you through checking your nutrition counseling benefits to see if your insurance covers our sessions
Please note that Nutrition con Sabor only accepts Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield insurances at this time, and may not be in network with certain HMO plans. If you are covered by another insurance company we are more than happy to provide you with a superbill to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement for our sessions. The superbill does not guarantee reimbursement.
I am happy to verify benefits for clients with an initial appointment scheduled. If you are still in the decision-making process, please use the guide below to ask about your insurance plan’s coverage for nutrition counseling.
Call the member services number on the back of your card and ask:
- Does my plan cover outpatient nutrition counseling? (codes: 97802 and 97803)
- If yes, how many how many sessions are allowed?
- Does my plan only cover visits that are “medically necessary”? or does it also cover preventive services? (code: Z71.3)
- Does my plan cover telehealth for nutrition counseling? (location code: 02)
- If located outside of CA – does my plan cover telehealth for providers located out of state?
- Do I have a deductible to meet first?
- If yes, how much is my deductible?
- How much of the deductible have I met?
- Do I have a copay for outpatient nutrition counseling?
- Record the representative’s name and a reference # when checking your benefits. This information will be necessary if you ever need to dispute a rejected claim.